YSL to SLP

YSL > SLP
Yves Saint Laurent Due A Name Change?

Never in a million years would I have thought YSL was in need of a name change. Hedi Slimane, on the other hands, thinks otherwise. 
Hedi Slimane - CD for YSL

For the last few days, there has been talk on Twitter of a rebranding, however if I'm honest, I never actually thought it would fall through. 83 stores worldwide, an international recognition in the same league as Chanel, Gucci, Prada and a stream of cold, hard cash coming from it. You would look at these statistics and think that the brand was doing more than OK and didn't need much of a shake up. Hedi Slimane however - YSL's new Creative Director - thinks otherwise. Although the full extent of his reasoning is unclear, it is said that he wants to bring the brand into a new era alongside fashion houses with one singular name such as Prada and Gucci. Some products will keep the infamous YSL logo though, such as cosmetics, shoes, bags and fragrance. Stupid, if you ask me. Why not just keep the original YSL? The logo is much more than a fashion house. It is synonymous with Parisienne chic and French culture. Karl Lagerfeld has been at Chanel for just under three decades, and he has managed to keep it's original logo and name intact. Hedi Slimane, take note!

What name is he choosing you may ask? None other than Saint Laurent (Paris). I know, I almost spat my caffe latte out this morning as well. First he moves the brand office to LA where he is currently living, then he changes the name. Oh! and he is only showing the Cruise collection to buyers. Perfetto!

I think it's abundantly clear that this whole fiasco isn't going down well with me. At all.

What do you all think of this name change? Do you approve? 


*Photo Credit: www.models.com


Comments

  1. True that! YSL is very iconic I think it's very unwise to change it now.
    FMWL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, why?? After being YSL for SOO long, I can't see any good coming from a name change. Silly idea, silly man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just so stupid of him. YSL was in the market for so many years, and it's one of the most famous luxury brands in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, what, no, i'm dying! I love the name YSL I think it sounds so chic and I love the abbreviation for it. I really hope it doesn't change, I think they will loose a lot of customers (mostly because I don't think many will know the name changed and think this new one is some random brand.) Idk i really hope it doesn't change though!

    http://cityto-city.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read an article about recent neuropsychologic studies of how certain letters in brands are affecting the reader/customer to like it/not like it.
    The letters which are on the left side of the keyboard seem to be less liked than the ones on the right side.
    Now, this is only my assumption: but in opposite to
    Y - left side
    S - left side
    L - right side

    S - left side
    L - right side
    P - right side
    the new name would be brainwise "more liked".

    On the whole, I think SLP really sounds stupid, though. It reminds me of an old computer program we had in school for accounting, which had the same name, ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts