Paris Fashion Week SS'13: Days 3, 4 & 5

Paris Fashion Week:
Days 3, 4 & 5

What is there to say about PFW days 3, 4 & 5 other than "wow"? Not only because we saw some of the most amazing collections from the fashion capital, but because we might have saw some of the worst from designers that we expected more from. A designer who has unfortunately fallen into this category is one of my all time favourites: Rick Owens. Before Fashion Week begins, I write down each show that I feel I want to take a look at the most and then ultimately write about; it keeps me organised and usually those end up being the shows that I do stick to and don't normally venture away from. Rick Owens was on said list for Thursdays shows, however after seeing his collection and the direction in which he took it for SS'13, I will not be featuring him in this post. If you know anything about Rick Owens, you'll know that he is known for his exquisite and absolutely amazing leather pieces; well, all I can say is that his Spring 2013 collection could not have ventured further from this if it tried. There were a few black and leather pieces towards the end, but not enough to satisfy me. Just click here and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Day 3

Balenciaga 

Sporty yet sassy: that is how the Balenciaga girl will be feeling next season, with an array of flirty A-symmetric cut skirts and boxy cropped tops in leather and mixed knits. What I really love about the looks is just how sexy they are, but in a non-obvious way; the knitted jumper with blue printed skirt, or the boxy crop top and high-waisted frilly skirt with super sexy thigh-high slit - It's almost like taking a pair of stilettos and wearing them with track pants or something. My favourite piece is the mini circle skirt with dipped hem and contrasting trim. It's simple and casual, yet dressy and formal at the same time. I just love how versatile it could be. 

Balmain

I don't have to see the rest of Paris Fashion Week to know that I've found my ultimate SS'13 favourite from Fashion Month. Balmain is, without a doubt, my favourite label and Oliver Rousteing definitely knows how to produce collections that tug on my heart strings and have me instantly lusting after; even with the Balmain menswear label, I find myself loving every piece and thinking how I would love to see it on my fiance! It's an all round appreciation that I have and the SS'13 collection just reinforces that with a bang. For Spring 2013, the Balmain girl will be channeling her inner 90's gangster, with huge shoulder pads (YES!), high-waisted skinny & over-sized trousers, checker board patterns and leather, leather, leather. As soon as I saw the shoulder pads, I immediately thought of a French blazer from the 60's that I bought from a vintage store in Glasgow two years ago and how it would look perfect next season. It hasn't seen the light of day in a while, and I always love a good revival, so I'm excited to style it for the new season. I don't think it's possible to choose a favourite look from this collection, as I absolutely adore every single piece. Can I have one of everything please? 

Nina Ricci

Just how stunning was that rose petal shower at Nina Ricci? Paris at Midnight seemed to be the inspirational key feature for SS'13 with luxuriously silky sheen fabrics, movement via fringing and a colour palette to die for; navy, black, pink, blue and grey. There was something for everyone - from a sexy skinny leg trouser suit, to a fun and flirty deep V cocktail dress with fringing. There was even a little S&M referencing through harness belts almost entirely sheer belted coats. I just loved how sultry and romantic the collection felt through the fabrics, colours and cuts - it really is a beautiful collection and one that I have a feeling will be a hit with buyers for Spring 2013.

Day 4

Dior

At Milan we waited with baited breath for the return of Jil Sander at her self named label, and for Paris, the same can be said for Dior as Raf Simons shows his debut collection for the design house. Dior is widely known for it's sophisticated and classic aesthetic, so it could be said that Raf Simons had a lot on his shoulders when designing for SS'13. I think he did a wonderful job however keeping the classic aesthetic, whilst mixing in some of the most popular trends for next season - space-age being one - in an appropriate way for the Dior woman. That high sheen blue fabric used for his skirts and mini dresses looks as though there is a high voltage running through the garment and is actually rather beautiful. It's definitely something that I could see myself wearing - especially with those metallic point-toe courts.Towards the end of the collection we began to see the classic and well known Dior silhouette in the form of long sleeve dresses with full rose-printed skirts. I liked that Raf Simons kept the two-tone sheen in those garments, as it really does give it something extra.

Day 5

Viktor & Rolf

Was there anything not to love in the Viktor & Rolf SS'13 collection? Metallic pleat panels, rose printed motifs, varsity jackets paired with floor length evening gowns and one stunning draped body suit. It was a collection that I just adored and didn't want to end. The play of monochrome with a little injection of shine-y silver and that A-symmetric floor length gown (3rd from the right) just had me at hello. It's such simple concepts, but entirely timeless and impressive at the same time.

A.F.Vandervorst

There was a definite gangster-esque feeling at the A.F.Vandervorst SS'13 collection made felt through the rather amazing waist belts and double breasted, belted coats. One single fastening, with four layers of unfastened belts felt a little holster like and as though a gun should be attached in some way. I loved that they were metallic gold and gunmetal because it added a little attraction to some otherwise simple looks. What was the most interesting about the collection though, was the use of gold in both the fabrics as well as the styling - gold body paint? A little strange, but it does kind of make you think of an alien race and in turn, the space-age trend that has swept Fashion Month like a storm. I don't think I'll be trying out the painted top with white trouser combo but you never know, Lady Gaga might be a fan!

Which is your favourite collection?

Photo Credit: www.vogue.co.uk - edited on Polyvore.

Comments

Popular Posts