Heir of Royalty

MFW AW'13;
Dolce & Gabbana

If the D&G AW'13 show was one thing, it was elaborate. There was an heir of royalty (see what I did there?) amidst the models with their gold crowns, jewels, cross necklaces/earrings and religious mosaic print garments. Even backstage before the show, the D&G army were dressed in slick, liquid black dressing gowns complete with 'DG' gold embroidery across the chest. I really want to own one of those now that I've seen them. It was luxurious, bold and everything you expect to see from the Italian design duo at Milan Fashion Week.

Maybe I'm being a little bias, but I absolutely adore MFW and think that it possibly tops the other capitals during Fashion Month every season; the collections are just so bold, yet don't run the risk of looking cheap or tacky as can be the case at some London shows. Let's face it, London likes to push boundaries and sometimes this just comes across less than appealing. Taste is something which is definitely always present in Milan though and I think that the D&G show showed this quality off to a T.




Just like Versace's AW'13-14 show however, I found that I was attracted to the little details and accessories just as much as the collection itself. Well, I mean with gold crowns how could I not be? It's not something that I would march down the high street wearing, but I'd definitely wear one around the flat - It would certainly make washing dirty dishes a lot more fun anyway. Every girl wanted to be a Princess or Queen for the day at some stage in her life and now she can be.  

I loved the gold courts and miniature hand bags the most - after the crowns of course - but although those floral caged wedges are undoubtedly a pretty cool concept, I just can't bring myself to like them. It's sort of like the Prada geisha platform shoe from SS'13 all over again for me. Hated those unfortunately. The velvet court shoes with floral caged heel I can deal with more though. I think it's just a case of 'less is more' with that design.


Overall it was a great collection, with an end series of ruby red looks that were seriously stunning as the models took their final walk down the runway. There has just always been something about that colour that screams Italian luxury to me. What did you think of the collection?

  Photo Credit: www.vogue.co.uk - edited using Polyvore

Comments

Popular Posts